I block by domain as in

*.dognuts
*.spammers
*.dating
*.evildoers

for basically every johhny-cum-lately domain (ie, that has not existed since
before 1995) -- one strike and the whole TLD is fileterd (as in packet routed
to the null0 interface).  Then tere is the checks on SPF, protocol conformance
(as in you do not speak until spoken to, you dirty spammer you), a number of
RBL checks and of course null0 routing all "nasty" addresses (that is, if you
send SSH attacks to someone, you likely have no good reason to be talking to me
at all).

Very effective.  99.99999% of all spam eliminated.

---
lot about anticipated traffic volume.