Christopher Head wrote:
> (1) SQLite developers believe that Unix filenames should be UTF-8 ...
> (2) SQLite developers believe that Unix filenames should be locale-encoded ...

This might sound like a truism, but one of the goals of the SQLite library
is to actually work.  Therefore, it does not matter what anybody believes
what _should_ be, but what the encoding _actually_ is.  And in practice,
it's random.

> (3) SQLite developers refuse to get into this argument and think it’s
> up to the developer of the client application, who should pass a string
> of whatever encoding they think right into sqlite_open() which in turn
> passes it on to open().

... So this is the only practical choice.

> I want some idea of whether this might change in future.

It cannot change without breaking old code.  Which is certainly not
something done intentionally.

Regards,
Clemens