> You "put" a ieee754 floating point double.

No I don't, I put a string ;-)

I am not complaining that I can put anything anywhere. But the data type that I
provide should be kept. When providing a string, it should be stored as such to
have the possibility to get back the original value. When requesting an integer
or float, it is perfectly ok to convert it. But it should be stored what is put.

> BTW, SQL delimits strings with single-quotes.  Double-quotes mean that what
> is between them is an identifier.

Sorry, I thought it was the other way round. But it doesn't actually matter in
this case.