You can use a simple 'L' flag on the rows you want locked and add a where to don't touch them.

I'm afraid things are more complicated in many real-world cases. Locking a single row isn't enough.

What if the UPDATE or DELETE forces deep changes in one or more indices?
What if the UPDATE or DELETE cascades to 1 to N levels?
What if some change launches a trigger that itself changes things elsewhere, possibly a LOT of things, that may themselves change several other parts of the DB?

In all cases above, if a read operation occurs in the middle of the write process, DB integrity is jeopardized. I haven't looked at the proposed patch but I seriously doubt all of this is taken care in all situations.

JcD