But 'random' is not a mathematical function. In software we often use
functions to get values from the outside world ( getch(),time() etc,
etc). Random is a function which fetches the next number from a random
number generator. The qualities of that random number depend on the
underlying generator. When we pass an argument to random it is just to
control the behaviour of the random number generator.

We would not expect getch() and time() to return the same result each
time they are called (except on friday afternoons).