James K. Lowden, on Tuesday, August 13, 2019 12:31 PM, wrote...

> On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 14:14:08 -0600
> "Keith Medcalf", on
>
> > Perhaps I am just lazy but I see no point in engaging in extra work
> > for no advantage
>
> bool
> is_true (bool tf) {
>         if (tf == true) {
>                 return true;
>         }
>         return false;
> }

Completely, completely off the subject, but since I see this code here, and I
have always wanted to ask this...

When I started programming, back in 1982, my teachers taught me to match my end
bracket to the same column where the beginning bracket was.  And they explained
the whole theory behind it, which I think it's true, to today.  For example the
above code, I would have written it this way:'

bool is_true (bool tf)
{
    if (tf == true)
    {
        return true;
    }
    return false;
}

Where, the brackets, begins/ends, would match the same column.  When did this
ideology change?  I see all of you smart programmers using this non-column
matching behavior, and I ask myself why?  Thoughts?  Or not. :-)  Thanks.

josé