I second this.

>I think real problem is that you have a function
>called "column_type" which doesn't actually return
>the type of a column. This is counter-intutive.

A more telling name for sqlite3_column_type would probably be sqlite3_cell_type.

>If you could make it return the column "affinity"
>between the call to prepare() and the first call
>to step() then the problem would probably go away.

Yes, some function like sqlite3_column_affinity would indeed be nice to have.
Just for the sake of the wrapper writers which try to link sqlite3 to database
concepts which required fixed datatypes. It should be available right
aftercalling sqlite3_prepare.

Just another 2 cent ...

Ralf