John Stanton wrote:
You don't seem to need a data manipulation system like Sqlite, more a form of high volume storage. Do you really need elaborate SQL, journalling, ROLLBACK and assured disk storage?

Di you consider some form of hashed storage, perhaps linear hashing, to build a compact and high performance associative array for your sparsely keyed data.

Do you really need the overhead of B-trees is you are just storing a sparse array?
JS
I don't need journaling or rollback. I'd love a way to shut them off. But elaborate SQL, that sure is handy. I'm not just storing, I'm viewing stored, compressed data. I definitely need some way of querying a sparse matrix data that is larger than my DRAM. Sqlite sure seems like the quickest route to a workable product for that to happen. It has all the streaming/caching built in. Because of that, I assume it is faster than random file access. It supports complex data queries and indexes, both things I would need anyway. In the world of programming, I think many will agree you should get a working product, then make it faster. I'm just trying to get the most speed out of the easiest tool. If I need to rewrite the file storage for the next version, we can consider the cost to benefit for that separately.