* Mikey C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-05-29 17:10]:
> Do you imagine Google loads 8 billions records into memory when
> the user is just viewing 10 results in page 5 after a broad
> search?

You can’t ask Google for more than the first 1,000 hits on any
search. (Go ahead and try.) There is a reason for that. Likewise
the number Google presents for the total is just an estimate.
There is a reason for that too.

At the same time, to my knowledge, a query which has an `ORDER
BY` clause always has to produce all results before it can apply
a `LIMIT` to the result set, so at least in that case, what you
want should be possible.

Regards,