On 6/16/06, René Tegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
i found MS-Access a very reasonable
flat-file database. It may lack fancy features like encrytion, but has
it advantages as well
Pro's: any windows client has the driver installed (no need to install
office), accessable by odbc, reasonable sql (very much like mssql
server), reasonable fast, able to be used as website-backend (!),

I can't recommend Access files.

I've repeatedly seen file corruption in multiuser applications
using Microsoft's Access. No user written code ever touched
the database but we still suffered corruption problems.

Having program data accessable, and thus changable, by
the user without my application to control that access has
proven to be bad in many of my installations. If the user messes
with it I end up fixing the mess. In general I've found almost none
of them able or willing to use a database or report
writer.

It's not portable to anything else but windows.

It costs money to buy the development tools.

I've found more drawbacks than advantages.

SqliteImporter and SqliteReplicator: Command line utilities for Sqlite
http://www.reddawn.net/~jsprenkl/Sqlite

Cthulhu Bucks!
http://www.cthulhubucks.com