Dennis Volodomanov wrote:

[...]
The reason that such a huge amount of statements needs to be executed so
many times very quickly is that we have a tree built up based on those
statements and that tree needs to be pruned if the results of statements
are empty in real-time as the user is typing a string (a search string
basically).
> [...]

Sorry to butt in (especially without knowing your constraints) but is SQL the right approach to use here? Isn't this the sort of thing that Patricia/radix/suffix trees are used for?

NB: I've just got up and haven't had any tea to start the boot process yet, so I could be talking (more) nonsense (than usual). ;)

Martin