On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 12:59:45PM -0700, Joe Wilson wrote:

> /var on my machine is drwxr-xr-x, and I don't have any issues with sqlite
> reading and writing temp files to /var/tmp/. Even if the permissions of /var
> were d--x--x--x, it would also be fine. As long as /var/tmp is rwx for
> the sqlite process, it will work.
>
> Just make sure the the first accessible temp dir has enough disk space
> for the temporary files.

Of course. It's a little 5 GB HDD - but filled only to 1/3 of it's capacity.
There's just one big partition (beside swap).

The problem is, that the error message actually gives not any clue. It just
tells, that "there was problem while truing to open temporary database file"
- but there (considering the above) shouldn't be any problem. /var/tmp has
rwxrwxrwx privileges. Even worse: it's working without any problems most of
the time - and then, after f.e. a week, it refuses to work any further,
without any particular reason. It did open that temporary files 100 times
before - and it can't open it at 101. time.

Perhaps there are other possible reasons, not just wrong permissions for
"temp" sub-dir?

I think, that the error code should be more communicative, and there should
be something like "wrong permissions", "directory not found" or at least kind
of numerical error code added, to allow the reason of the problem be found.
--
                                pozdrawiam / regards

                                                Zbigniew Baniewski