John wrote:

Griggs, Donald wrote:

Regarding: "
Where I get tripped up is making a typo in a multiline query that may
have destructive effects if I terminate with a ';' and allow the CLI to
execute the query. To date I have aborted the CLI with a ^C (MS
Windows). I would love have a means of escaping/cancelling back to the
prompt without executing from a partially entered query. Perhaps the
escape key is a good candidate for actioning this functionality should
someone implement it."

Why not just add the word "damnit;" (or almost anything) to the end of
the query, resulting in a syntax error -- and no changes to your
database?

Probably because I didn't think of it at the time - thanks Donald, but I would still like to push one key and cancel the current entry like I can in a Cmd.exe CLI console. Is this feature not common in CLI consoles on other OS.

Talking to myself - perhaps cmd.exe can do this because it only supports one line of entry, I understand (mainly from hearsay) that CLI consoles on other OS can support multiline entries and therefore (my supposition) may not be able to support cancellation of the current entry, so that feature may not be common in non Windows environments. If IRC it wasn't available in MSDOS command.com either, but one could always BS over the current line. Therein lies the problem - you can't edit a previous line in a multiline statement in the sqlite CLI before committing the statement for execution by terminating with ';' whether the line contains garbage to deliberately abort the interpreter or not.

There is a host of GUI-based Sqlite tools which replace the command line program and satisfy your wishes. Try out a few and choose the one you like best.