Rich,

The approach I planned was a little different than what you proposed.

I've done some experimentation with updating a SQLite database by
overwriting it with an updated copy of the database. It's a simple file
overwrite, it's fast, and the database, with its new data contents, is
fully useable.

My plan:
1. Create a RAM drive.
1. Copy a hard drive based SQLite database from its hard drive to a RAM
drive.
2. Perform updates to the SQLite database in the RAM drive (for speed).
3. Copy the RAM based SQLite database back to the hard drive and overwrite
the original SQLite database.
4. Delete the RAM drive.

This technique for performing database updates offline and then updating
the original database via a file copy operation has worked very well on
hard drives. I am only considering using the RAM drive to improve the
speed of the database updates.

Lee Crain