From: Rich Shepard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 11:15 AM
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Subject: RE: [sqlite] A Question About Creating and Accessing a SQLite
Database in a RAM Drive

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Lee Crain wrote:

> The approach I planned was a little different than what you proposed.

   That's fine, Lee.

> This technique for performing database updates offline and then updating
> the original database via a file copy operation has worked very well on
> hard drives. I am only considering using the RAM drive to improve the
> speed of the database updates.

   This was common in the early 1980s when drives and other hardware were
slow. I've not seen a situation any time recently when this was necessary
with modern hardware and fast memory. When I was capturing real-time data
(lat/lon from the GPS receiver and depth from the sonar), I'd write both
memory buffers, then write to disk on a regular basis. This let me use
slower hardware (compared to the data flow) while writing to disk in
chunks
and ensuring that no data were lost.

   I'm confident that you can tune your database for speed in other ways,
but
-- of course -- it's your choice.

Good luck with it,

Rich