On Wednesday, September 05, 2007 Arjen Markus wrote:

> Doug Currie wrote:

>>I suspect the bug is in the functions that convert between string and
>>double; that's why I keep harping on Steele and White's (and
>>Clinger's) PLDI 1990 papers. What I don't know is why this bug appears
>>in the binary from sqlite.org but not in the version I build myself
>>with gcc 3.4.5 from SQLite version 3.4.2 source.
>>

> The implementation of that algorithm is far from trivial. It actually
> requires the
> use of an arbitrary-precision library (or so at least is my understanding).

Yes, in some cases big integers are needed. In extreme cases, e.g.,
denormalized numbers, up to 160 bytes may be required.

I have implemented these algorithms, twice, but for employers with
proprietary programs. The algorithms are also implemented in glibc
based on high quality code from David Gay (Bell Labs, Lucent, Sandia,
Netlib), available with a BSD license at
http://netlib.sandia.gov/fp/index.html

Doug Currie
Londonderry, NH, USA