Folks,

I come to ask you a question that may be basic for many of you but is
leaving me completely bewildered. My work environment is a Mac OS X
(Tiger) computer, and I use a Cocoa-based text editor, and am writing
a Perl-based web app. Data are in several different languages,
predominantly English, but with Portuguese, Spanish, and other
languages mixed in... hence, have accent marks (diacritics).

Goal: To reliably and consistently show the retrieved data in a web
page or a web form with the correct diacritics, and when the user
edits and updates that data, reliably and consistently update the
database.

Summary of problem: Data with diacritics show up fine in web forms,
but on updating, they get clobbered with gibberish and subsequently
show up incorrectly.

So, I decided to do a little test. I created a small table, wrote a
script, and inserted a few records from the web. See the output of my
investigation below. I ask you, what is it that I have to do to
achieve my goal above? (output of test follows; I have separated
logical sections with a "-------" line, and my comments start with #)

Lucknow:~/Data/ecoservices punkish$ sqlite3 entities.sqlite
SQLite version 3.3.8
Enter ".help" for instructions
sqlite> .s
CREATE TABLE tbl (a text);
sqlite> select * from tbl;
the first record
é ç ñ î
more from 3rd row
row four
these "volunteered" activities
<á ø ã ü î & others>
-----------------------------
sqlite> .mode csv
sqlite> .output foo.csv
sqlite> select * from tbl;
sqlite> .q
Lucknow:~/Data/ecoservices punkish$ less foo.csv
"the first record"
"\351 \347 \361 \356"
"more from 3rd row"
"row four"
"these \223volunteered\224 activities"
"<\341 \370 \343 \374 \356 & others>"
foo.csv (END)
-----------------------------
sqlite> .mode html
sqlite> .output foo.html
sqlite> select * from tbl;
sqlite> .q
Lucknow:~/Data/ecoservices punkish$ less foo.html
"foo.html" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?
<TR><TD>the first record</TD>
</TR>
<TR><TD><E9> <E7> <F1> <EE></TD>
</TR>
<TR><TD>more from 3rd row</TD>
</TR>
<TR><TD>row four</TD>
</TR>
<TR><TD>these <93>volunteered<94> activities</TD>
</TR>
<TR><TD>&lt;<E1> <F8> <E3> <FC> <EE> &amp; others></TD>
</TR>
foo.html (END)
-----------------------------
# below foo.html in my Cocoa-based text editor
<TR><TD>the first record</TD>
</TR>
<TR><TD>È Á Ò Ó</TD>
</TR>
<TR><TD>more from 3rd row</TD>
</TR>
<TR><TD>row four</TD>
</TR>
<TR><TD>these ìvolunteeredî activities</TD>
</TR>
<TR><TD>&lt;· ¯ „ ¸ Ó &amp; others></TD>
</TR>
# below foo.html in Safari; I added <TABLE> tags to format correctly