On 9/20/07, Trevor Talbot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 9/20/07, P Kishor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > sqlite> select * from tbl;
> > the first record
> > é ç ñ î
> > more from 3rd row
> > row four
> > these "volunteered" activities
> > <á ø ã ü î & others>
> > -----------------------------
> > sqlite> .mode csv
> > sqlite> .output foo.csv
> > sqlite> select * from tbl;
> > sqlite> .q
> > Lucknow:~/Data/ecoservices punkish$ less foo.csv
> > "the first record"
> > "\351 \347 \361 \356"
> > "more from 3rd row"
> > "row four"
> > "these \223volunteered\224 activities"
> > "<\341 \370 \343 \374 \356 & others>"
> > foo.csv (END)
> > -----------------------------
>
> Note that this is *not* UTF-8.  If you're still using this as test
> data, you need to get rid of it and use UTF-8 encoded data instead.

this is where I lost you... when you say "this" is not UTF8, what is
"this"? All I want is that I want (1) the user to be able to type ç in
the web form, and (2) I want to be able to save ç in the db. (3) Then
when I look at that data, either on the command line, but definitely
back on the web, I want it to appear as ç. (4) If I export it, I
should still be able to see it as ç and not something else.

Seems like I was able to do 1, 2, and 3 with my test case, but not 4
(I got \347 instead ç).

Also, in my production case, 1,2, and 3 are not very reliable. Are you
saying my data above are not UTF8? If so, I would like to know how you
can tell that, so I can recognize it in the future myself. Also, I
would like to know how I can do what you are suggesting I should do,
that is, how can I ensure that I "use UTF8 encoded data"?

Many thanks,

--
Puneet Kishor
http://punkish.eidesis.org/