On Oct 30, 2007 7:18 AM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is still just an idea.  If you think that adding a new
> required sqlite3_initialize() interface would cause serious
> hardship for your use of SQLite, please speak up now.

I think this would cause some hardship for dynamically-loaded
libraries which are using SQLite and which are multi-threaded.

I don't think it's a SERIOUS hardship, because you can usually find
(or annoint) some special place in your code to make the call (though
that assumption might fail given a broad enough set of operating
environments).  If sqlite_initialize() needed to be called once per
process, it would be handy if it could be called from any thread, and
if it could safely be called multiple times.  Alternately, it might be
reasonable to require it to be called once per thread before anything
else in that thread calls into SQLite.

It would seem reasonable to me to have SQLite handle this
initialization at appropriate entry points, and to add something like
SQLITE_OMIT_AUTO_INITIALIZE for those users who can't afford the
overhead.

-scott