I wrote:

> > On win32, we have to initialize mutexes at run-time, but this
> > can be done within a contrived mutex that we build off of
> > a static integer using InterlockedIncrement().  And mutex
> > initialization apparently never fails on win32, so we do not
> > have to worry with reporting errors that occur during
> > mutex initialization.
>
> That isn't actually true, but handling that particular, rare
> out-of-memory error condition that can occur with CriticalSections is
> so amazingly inconvenient that most people don't even bother trying :)

I realize how fragile that sounds, so to expand a bit: the default
behavior is for the process to die immediately.  It's sort of like
getting a signal when you hit a ulimit on unix.  There's no danger of
silent failure and mysterious problems later.

I'd consider it to be in roughly the same class as handling running
out of stack during execution.  Not a bug, just not something designed
for.