On 31 Oct 2007 at 11:37, James Dennett wrote:

> Bernie Cosell wrote:

> > I guess you've never used a [good] GUI-driven DB
> manager/administration
> > pgm.
>
> Your guess (luckily for me) is very wrong.  It's just that I call these
> GUIs, not "DB managers".

Ah... a terminology problem..  I'll just point out that the section in
the wiki that has all of these pgms in it is called "Management Tools".

> ..  They're handy.  I have a number of them
> installed on the machine on which I write this, and I use them in
> addition to command line tools.

As I mentioned in another msg on this thread, we use phpMyAdmin for our
MySQL databases at work and I can't remember the last time anyone at work
needed (or wanted) to use the command line tool.  Different strokes...

> That's not a problem, is it?  Just a question of using a tool at the
> right level.  If you want to automate things, writing code is often a
> good way.  If you want to do ad hoc work, a visual tool can be much more
> convenient.

Just so.  Only difference between us here is that I have virtually no use
for the command line tool: if I need to automate, I'll just write a
little Perl/DBI pgm to do it (I have dozens of 'em..:o)) and I use the
"visual tool" for everything else.  I'd rather write a small Perl program
that try to cobble up a script to be read into the command line app.  As
above, YMMV...

> So you're looking for a graphical tool to allow you to manually view and
> modify information in a SQLite3 database?

Yes, and I'm now the happy user of sqliteman, so my search is over..:o).
It's "query manager" does *exactly* what I needed and works wonderfully.
(and indeed, easily found the index conflict I was trying to sort out
easily.)

  /Bernie\

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]     Pearisburg, VA