Based on my experience with SQLite, it would be a huge undertaking to
re-work it to use column-oriented storage.  And I don't think it would
really fit with SQLite's goal, either; column oriented databases are
best suited to aggregate queries against large amounts of data, while
SQLite is best at transactional operations against smaller amounts of
data.

   For clarity, my definition of small is about 200GB, so I'm not
selling SQLite short here... Don't everyone get all upset at me. :)

   -T