The reason why I asked is that I haven't had much luck with sqlite3
performance for databases larger than the size of RAM on my machine
regardless of PRAGMA settings.

Maybe querying speed is fine for multi gigabyte database files, but
INSERT speed into tables with multiple indexes is slow when you exceed
the RAM threshold, so I did not pursue it.

I guess the answer is to get more RAM - it's cheap.
...and use a 64 bit OS.

High speed non-volatile RAM drives will be commonplace soon enough
and alleviate this problem.