Dennis, your application may not be a microwave oven but it does appear to be "deeply embedded" as opposed to a general purpose DB server which handles generic queries.

I was aware of the runtime only version of Sqlite, but is it not directly comparable to DeviceSQL unless the external compiler handles not only SQL but also PL/SQL. The addition of the command language allows for creating a library of data manipulation functions rather than just embedded SQL. My point was that the DeviceSQL approach could be used with Sqlite to produce a smaller footprint embedded product and that such a product has the potential of being less memory hungry than DeviceSQL simply by virtue of the higher information density of the VDBE target code compared to native machine instructions.

Dennis Cote wrote:
John Stanton wrote:

DeviceSQL is not suitable for general purpose SQL processing, unlike Sqlite, and should only be compared as an alternative in deeply embedded applications so the only useful comparison is one which looks like a cell phone, microwave oven or a TV set top box.

The application doesn't necessarily have to look like a microwave. :-)

It could be any application that uses a fixed set of predetermined SQL statements to perform its operations. My primary application does exactly that using SQLite with all statements prepared and cached as needed. It runs on a standard PC under Windows. We have no need for executing arbitrary, runtime generated, or user supplied SQL as many other applications do. Every SQL statement that can be executed is known before the application starts.

I can imagine that a version of Sqlite which does not include its SQL compiler and which uses precompiled VDBE code would provide similar functionality to DeviceSQL, particularly if the Sqlite compiler were extended to generate VDBE from PL/SQl. I can imagine that the higher information density of the VDBE code could deliver the advantage =of a smaller memory footprint.

I thought that this already existed as a commercial product that Richard offered, but I can't find any reference to it on the paid support page at http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/prosupport.html. My recollection was an offline compiler that ran on a PC and generated VDBE code to execute SQL statements, along with source code for a runtime execution engine that would execute those pre-compiled statements. The execution engine could be built for any target, and was much smaller than SQLite because it eliminated the parser and code generator functionality. Does this exist, or was I just imagining it?

Dennis Cote