Nicolas Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 03:38:17PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > That would be the Serialized Statement Extension, SSE.
> > The SSE provides the programmer with two new APIs:
>
> Would it be useful to generate human-readable VDBE "assemply"?
>
> Or, how do you develop parser changes that involve new VDBE code
> patterns?

The EXPLAIN option generates human-readable assembly.  We
use EXPLAIN extensively when debugging and enhancing.

I should point out that while we work very hard to keep the
file format for SQLite stable, we make no such effort with
the VDBE.  The opcodes can and do change significantly between
point releases.  Hence the serializations generated by one
version of SQLite can only be interpreted by that exact same
version of SQLite.

Case in point:  A new opcode has been added for the pending 3.5.4
release.  And this caused many of the other opcodes to be
automatically renumbered.  A serialization created for 3.5.3
has little hope of running on 3.5.4.

--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>