Bill KING <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A colleague brought up a very good point. At least for the first few
> revisions, is the old engine/code still going to be available until the
> new engine code base settles down?

You can always pull the old code frm CVS and run it against
the newer code.  We started making the switch with check-in [4652]
on 2008-01-02.  So any CVS verious prior to that will be a pure
stack-based machine.

The changes consist of slowly adding capability to the existing
VM so that it can work with operands on the stack or in registers.
This continued through check-in [4700] on 2008-01-09.  After [4700],
all operations can be done using register operands, though the
code generator still uses the stack for many things.  Since then
and moving forward, we are converting the code generator to use
registers rather than the stack, and we are removing stack
capabilities from the VM as those abilities lapse from use.
Toward the end of the process, we will completely remove the
operand stack from the VM.

During the conversion process, SQLite will likely be slower and
use more memory.  But all regression tests are suppose to pass
after each check-in.  So we hope to avoid introducing any bugs.
Once the conversion is complete, we hope to be able to reduce
the memory footprint of each sqlite3_stmt object and make them
run a little faster too.  But we need to get a correctly functioning
pure register VM first.
--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>