Thanks for your reply.  I have done some quick timing tests on my
system; a vacuum can take 5 or more minutes (synchronous full), and a
delete and recreate is rougly 3 seconds.  I think I did such a test
with a 30MB database.  The database resides on a jffs2 file system
(compression off), which seems to have a constant time for deletions.

I should have included I am using sqlite 3.4.0.