On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 09:43:51AM -0400, Liam Healy scratched on the wall:

> Interesting; I tried it on Debian sid (unstable) and it worked as
> well.  I guess the statement in
> http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=LoadableExtensions that the
> extensions loading mechanism being turned off by default doesn't apply
> to Debian.

  It isn't a compile-time flag (unless you omit the whole thing), it is
  something you turn on and off in code-- and the default start-up
  state FOR THE LIBRARY is off.

  More recent versions of the "sqlite3" command-line tool are nice
  enough to enable to feature every time they open a database, however.
  So the default behavior for the sqlite3 interface is for the feature
  to be enabled.

  If you understand the security concerns behind having the loading system
  off by default and the specific threat it is trying to protect against,
  this all makes sense: basically if you're in a position to turn the
  feature on via code, you're already in a position to do whatever you
  could do with the extension system.

  On the other hand, if you can get at the raw database file (with
  sqlite3 or any other tool you've custom compiled) you can pretty much
  do anything you want, so there isn't a huge need to protect against that.

> I've revised the instructions to include -lm for Linux and
> to indicate the possibility that the program as compiled by some
> distributions will work.  Does anyone know if -lm is need on Mac OS X
> as well?

  No, it is not.  In both 10.4 and 10.5 (and perhaps earlier) the math
  lib is associated with the core libSystem run-time lib, so the math
  library (and all symbols) are always available.

   -j

"'People who live in bamboo houses should not throw pandas.' Jesus said that."
   - "The Ninja", www.AskANinja.com, "Special Delivery 10: Pop!Tech 2006"