On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Brad Stiles <bradley.sti...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> OK then, why would one not use the column name?
>>
>>  It does.
>
> No, I meant why not use the column name, instead of the number?
>
> Why use "order by 1" instead of "order by name"?
>
> I understand that "1" refers to the "'drop table ' || name || ';'"
> result column, but why bother?  It seems simpler to me to use the
> actual column name.  Is there a performance thing involved here, or
> simply a preference?

because the way the query was written, there was no alias provided to
the selected column, so just giving the column number worked. Is there
a performance difference? I don't know... just another way of doing
things perhaps.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org/
Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) http://www.osgeo.org/