Hello!

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 22:00:29 Roger Binns wrote:
> > You can find locale-independant Unicode extension here:
> > http://ioannis.mpsounds.net/blog/2007/12/19/sqlite-native-unicode-like-
> > support/
> >
> > This work fine for me and about 4x faster than ICU.
>
> That code should be tidied up a bit.  It has copied several functions
> from the SQLite source, and left them named using a sqlite3 prefix so it
> will clash if included in the same file as the amalgamation.

I did fix it by simple sed script. So I did compile SQLite source tree with
this module. With SQLite 3.6.10 the build did pass all tests.

> The final results will be significantly better than the original
> proposal here, but since it is locale independent they will not be
> accurate for all locales.  For example German uses a different sort
> order for names (eg phone book) vs dictionary, Swedish uses a different
> sort order for accented characters than German etc, and so any locale
> independent sorting will not be 100% correct.

I'm know. But you can implement locale-dependent version for single language
only. I think we need locale-independent version and versions for all locales
in SQLite source tree. May be table-driven locales support will be good. ICU
library is huge and very slow. It's problem that SQLite doesn't support
unicode by light-weight extension. I did write to sqlite-dev but without any
effect. I'm very sorry because unicode is "must have" feature now.

Best regards.