- Please, let us try to bring down the discussion to the intended solution - a
simple way to define and use a "user defined" collating for 8 bit ASCII
characters!
As said before, the proposal doesn't rely on locales. If a user needs a german
collating sequence with sort order for phone-book, dictionary or german upper
case, it's up to the user to supply a simple 256 byte string with the
wanted/needed sort order for that index. It could be beneficial to all users
with the need for special sorting requirements and almost no impact to cpu
cycles, even on small systems.

There sould be many users with 8bit ASCII locales requirements that would love
such an extension.

George