From: sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org
[mailto:sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org] On Behalf Of Simon Slavin
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:49 AM
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Advice on which to use (SQLite or SQL Server) for the
following app.

On 11 Jun 2009, at 8:23am, Roger Binns wrote:

> It depends very strongly on how the app is structured and in
> particular
> if there are a few persistent connections to the SQLite database, or
> if
> each request involves a separate connection to the database.  If you
> have lots of connections then there will be contention.

500 connections a second, each from a different computer.  If the OP
handles each one with a separate run of his/her application, that's
500 connections to the database a second, each updating one record in
one table.

> If the work done during contention is quick and simple then you are
> fine.  If it is long running then you will benefit from a server based
> approach.  But when you have commits then disk access is serialized
> and
> you will have performance limitations  no matter what the database
> server or SQLite.  (That is the point Florian is making.)

As far as I can tell, with correct programming each query would be one
connection for all the data the query would want.  So the OP's
objective is /probably/ achievable with SQLite but I'd want to
prototype it to be sure.

Sorry, Robel, but we can only guess.  Try it.

Simon.