On 8 Jul 2009, at 1:44pm, Hoover, Jeffrey wrote:

> Just to be clear, I think Windows is really the one that is at fault
> here; the behavior seems very broken to me. Unfortunately, I need the
> app to work on Windows without this happening, so I need to figure out
> some kind of workaround in a.) Windows settings b.) the sqlite source
> or c.) how my app is using sqlite.

Worse still, WIndows handles this differently depending on how the
file is being accessed.  Each connection (the one taking the backup
and the one trying to modify the file) may be via access to an
internal hard disk, or via SMB to a normal copy of Windows, or via SMB
to a Windows file server.  And my experience is that the precise
behaviour of locking and exclusive locking varies depending on which
one is used.

A few years ago I was sysadmin for a desktop graphics company and we
found a great deal of inconsistency on how this worked.  This was
discovered only when we had a rush project on and some people were
still working at 11pm, when backups were regularly scheduled.  One of
the nicer aspects of Mac OS X was that AFP (the Apple equivalent of
SMB) has all this specified very precisely and very consistently: we
had no problems with the Macintosh users.  I don't know what you'd be
using for Linux: NFS ?

I suspect the only way to do this with confidence for SQLite databases
is for someone to write a command-line tool that just implements the
Online Backup API.  But I don't know enough to write such a tool.

Simon.