"D. Richard Hipp" <d...@hwaci.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:64f6bda6-2a04-4d46-aa08-901a6138c...@hwaci.com...

> See http://www.fossil-scm.org/ for more information on
> fossil.  Fossil is self-hosting, btw.

It's a real nice (and small!) SCM and I consider to use it for
the planned LGPL-opening of my COM-based sqlite-wrapper-
and -RPC-library.

That planned opening will be hosted on a dedicated servermachine,
which will support both - a (readonly) WebBrowser-Client
over Port 80 (more or less directly served by the Fossil-engine) -
but also a dedicated RichClient-Application (a "project-client"),
which works against the same online-host over the usual RPC-
Port my library is using.

My question is related to the GPL-license the Fossil-engine
is based on - regarding compatibility with my own stuff, which
will (needs to) be LGPL-based.

At the serverside I see no larger problems - two services,
running side-by-side - the RPC-service with no "direct linking"
to the Fossil-service.

But at the clientside I'd like to interact more closely with the
Fossil-engine (the ideal way would be a library-based Fossil-
engine which runs InProcess within the RichClient-App).

That RichClient-App licensed under LGPL - making use
of the new LGPL-licensed sqlitewrapper- and communication-
library - so, do you see any chance, how I can achieve
such a tighter integration without the need to "lower" my
planned LGPL-license to GPL?

What I would like to achieve is, that my solution is
usable within commercial contexts - and the LGPL-
license is not that restrictive in that regard, also in
terms of (re)distribution.

I'm not (yet) that "fluent" with regards to LGPL/GPL
compatibility - so, "how to interface" in the best way
with fossil with regards to easy (re)distribution and
usage of a "developer-package" (which later on
wants become a full-blown IDE with integrated SCM-
support - used also in commercial contexts)?

I'd be willing to also contribute to the fossil-project
(e.g. a COM-based fossil-interface-wrapper, released
 under GPL - if that is of any help - but as I see it - that
 would shift the GPL/LGPL "interfacing-issues" only one
 layer "away").

Olaf Schmidt