Hello Mark,

Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 3:53:48 AM, you wrote:

M> I've currently got a loaner high-performance flash-based "SSD" (let's
M> just say it doesn't connect to any disk controllers) that I'm testing
M> for performance. I've run my application against it, and I believe that
M> I should see numbers MUCH higher than I do. When I run my test app on a
M> normal SATA 7200 RPM disk, I get a certain performance, and on the "SSD"
M> I get about 1/10th that speed. On an array of SAS disks I get numbers
M> that are about 5x faster than my SATA disk, so my software itself isn't
M> (I believe) the bottleneck.

M> I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for "optimizing" for this sort of
M> storage solution.

Throw it into the trash bin and buy a new one which has a 3rd
generation controller and at least 64MB fast cache. The old JMicron
controller that many low cost SSD still use was developed for Flash
USB sticks.

With modern SSD like the latest Samsung should give you at least the
same performance as the SATA. If it gets better depends on file size
and cache. Are you sure that the SAS RAID Controller is not keeping
everything in the controller cache?