Interesting....

Mind if we ask what the SSD device brand and model is?

Is it a disk backed type of device with equal memory in front, I recall seeing
devices like this about 7 years ago. I'm thinking that the sync call is causing
the device to write its memory contents back out to disk (ie to be persisted).
Just a thought...