On a RAID-5 array of 4x SAS disks, turning the sync off made it about 2x
faster, give or take.

On the "SSD", it was about 150x faster.

Is the only change the absence of a call to "fsync()" when turning
synchronous off? If so, I can conclusively say that fsync() is very slow
on this storage device.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark