On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:24:58AM -0600, Bret Patterson wrote
> We're seeing a lot more disk activity than expected on Linux when
> using sqlite3. We've run this same series of test on windows and
> the disk IO is much lower, which is the opposite of what I really
> expected. Below is my scenario and perhaps someone can point out
> what I can do to fix this problem.

  Since it seems to be a linux issue, what are the mount settings for
the partitions?  This may seem obvious, so please don't take this as an
insult.  Here goes...

  - "noatime" (for all file systems) will reduce disk I/O and speed
    things up

  - if using ReiserFS, use the "notail" option

  - the default is that all filesystems are mounted async, but check to
    make sure

  Then there are the hard drives.  Use the hdparm utility to confirm
that DMA is turned on.

  I assume the linux machine is a server, running in text mode, rather
than a resource-heavy GUI.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>