I have a query with joined inline views that runs in about 100ms against
a 4 million row table joined to a 275,000 row table.  Not bad, SQLite :-)

But when I use the LIKE operator instead of the = operator, the order of
the query plan changes, though the same indexes are involved, and the
query takes 40 seconds.  I'm trying to figure out what, if anything, I
can do to guide SQLite here.

In broad terms, what is it about the use of the LIKE operator that
causes SQLite to re-order the plan, and is there any way to guide?

And what does the "from" column in the explain plan results refer to?
Are the values the tables/relations in the query statement? If so, how
are  they mapped? In order of appearance in the statement, so that 0 is
the first table mentioned in the statement?

Thanks