On 15 Feb 2010, at 8:35pm, Jay A. Kreibich wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 07:31:43PM +0000, Simon Slavin scratched on the wall:
>>
>> So the command-line tool cannot correctly read the CSV files
>> it output itself ?  Okay, that's messed up. Something should be done.
>
>  Yes, and always will be.  Different version of Excel have similar
>  issues.  The topic of what the "correct" format of a CSV file has
>  been beaten to death on this list in the past. [snip]
>
>  The simple fact is that everyone has a different idea of what makes
>  up "proper" CSV, so the format is pretty worthless for general use.

I think this is more extreme than that.  What Phil has found here is that the
command-line tool -- one single program -- has two different ideas about what
CSV format means.  It uses one when it outputs, but it won't accept the same
format when it inputs.  So the program is itself inconsistent: however you
define 'csv format', either its output or input function is broken.

Among other things this means that you cannot test the command-line tool with a
file generated using the command-line tool.  Generate a file, read it back in,
and see if you get the same data and you find it doesn't.  I would have thought
that this would mean it failed at least a unit test.

Simon.