On 29 Apr 2010, at 12:49pm, Ian Hardingham wrote:

> Under what circumstances should I need to call VACUUM?  My server
> application seems to have a very variable memory footprint which I have
> tracked down to large SQLite SELECT results.

The only time VACUUM should be useful is if all these things happen:

A) Your had a database with a lot of data in.
B) You deleted a lot of that data.
C) You want to make the database file shorter so it uses less disk space.

VACUUM won't have a lot of effect on memory footprint unless you've been
intentionally perverse in how you manipulated your database.  It's more about
filespace.  And it frees up only unused filespace, so it won't have much effect
unless you have deleted a lot of data and not reused as much space since then.

Simon.

PS to the docos: this page

<http://www.sqlite.org/lang_vacuum.html>

explicitly mentions dropping "table, index, trigger, or view".  It does not
mention deleting rows.  It would be nice if it made it clear whether VACUUM had
any result after deleting lots of rows.