Daniel -- you need to give more info....

C#'s exception messages are terrible and very non-specific as they simply
indicate failure and not why.

Use the C function fopen() to test your database file.

If you get an error back In your simple program display a dialog box with the
strerror(errno) function.  Then you'll see (and you can tell us) the error
message.

I don't know C# well enough to know if there's a way to get back the REAL error
on an open exception.  Most all the examples you can even find on the internet
are horrible just for a simple file open.

As a prior language instructor I always graded my students on error handling.
Especially things like "permission denied" "file not found" type errors when
everybody sticks in their own "can not open file" which has little meaning.

Michael D. Black
Senior Scientist
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems