On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:34:05PM -0500, Black, Michael (IS) scratched on the
wall:
> Was that a facetious remark???
>
> Rather than "here's a function/pragma that allows you to put the
> journal file where you want -- but BE CAREFUL BECAUSE..."
>
> Writing you own VFS is not for the casual user...
>
> I was trying just to find where the journal filename was created but
> there's no "db-journal" string in either the .h or .c file.
>
> It would be trivial to add a function to set it via the C interface.

  This is a polite way of saying, "This a *really* Bad Idea.  There is
  a big gun over there.  Have fun shooting yourself in the foot.  Can
  we take pictures?"

  If you know enough about the whole system to understand the full
  implications of moving the journal file, chances are you know enough
  about the whole system to make the VFS modifications without serious
  thought.  If you don't, you should likely think twice about hacking
  up a fundamental transaction behavior and dismissing years and years
  of practical knowledge and experience.

  Adding a function would be trivial... which means there are really
  good reasons why it isn't there.

  There is a really big gun right here (3.6.23.1):

$ grep -n \"-journal\" sqlite3.c
35406:    memcpy(&pPager->zJournal[nPathname], "-journal", 8);

  You're not finding "db-journal" because the "db" comes from your
  application.

   -j

"Intelligence is like underwear: it is important that you have it,
 but showing it to the wrong people has the tendency to make them
 feel uncomfortable." -- Angela Johnson