> On 12 Aug 2010, at 12:37pm, Pavel Ivanov wrote:
>
>>> Here I (or we) think of the cycles the system needs when the small
>>> niche
>>> of the initial database is exhausted and it has to look for another
>>> free
>>> block on the filesystem. If you can tell the system in advance, how big
>>> the niche has to be, it saves some time.
>>
>> Did you measure that or know of someone who measured?
>
> Also, you may get a big saving on the first few accesses after taking
> those measures, but does that last past any subsequent changes ?  A
> real-life example follows:
>
> Some people make a big fuss about defragmentation under Linux, and it's
> true that if you compare access times immediately before and after
> defragmentation you can see a noticable speedup.  But 24 hours after that,
> there's almost no difference because Linux continually writes many small
> log files which fragments the disk again.  So most of the speed
> improvement goes away in the first 24 hours.
>
> Simon.

And besides that. I think if you reserve the space every time your
database grows faster, than the data, that was input into the database,
or? And even if you reserve space, if the last space (from an earlier
reserve) is not fully filled, you have an empty place there. it fills this
one and goes to the other free place. So at the end it doesn't change
anything.

Am i right?

Artur Reilin
sqlite.yuedream.de