> I can approximately calculate, how big the new database will grow. Is
> there a way to tell SQLite to reserve an inital space or numer of pages
> instead of letting the database file grow again and again?

Thought about this recently. Another idea is to tweak VFS. Since xWrite
method is supposed to accept iOfst that is bigger than the current file
size, one can check whether the new write query is going to allocate new
space for the file (vs internal space writing), and before actual call make
prior call of the same function writing for example a single zero byte a
little far and after that perform the original request. The only thing that
can be affected in this case is the routines that use xFileSize. I looked at
the sources, at least backup Api uses it, it either should be
straightforward in this case or "pretend" and report the expected file size.
>From what I see, it seems that the sqlite internally doesn't rely on the
file size for the core functionality and xFileSize looks more like a service
function, but I may be wrong

Max Vlasov,
www.maxerist.net