Am 19.08.2010 23:56, schrieb Simon Slavin:
> On 19 Aug 2010, at 9:27pm, Taras Glek wrote:
>
>> I really appreciate that sqlite got this feature to reduce
>> fragmentation, but why not expose this as a pragma?
> Do you have figures which suggest that reducing fragmentation leads to any
> improvement in performance ?
Yes, see below.
> It might be worth noting that fragmentation is normally seen as an issue only
> under Windows which is very sensitive to it however.  Other operating systems
> use different ways of handling disk access, however, real figures from
> real-world examples may disprove this classic view.  Also, many installations
> of SQLite are on solid state devices where, of course, fragmentation has no
> effect at all.
> Simon.
Hello Simon,

I agree completely.

In my case (which is certainly not typical), a (several GB) large
database is built up in several batches, one table at a time, while in
parallel many intermediate files on the disk are created. This resulted
in a very fragmented database file. After that, also several times, the
data is selected in a way that uses 80-90% of the data in the database,
using joins of all tables and sorting.

The fragmentation was not a problem for me, but one of my customers did
not like it. As far as i understood, some automatic tool monitored disk
fragmentation and generated alarms; also, a backup tool slowed down.
So, while inserting, at strategic places, I created a dummy table with a
blob field and filled it with a very large empty blob. Then I dropped
the table. In this way i simulated the new feature.

Under Windows, the insert speed did not change measurably, but the speed
of the later selects increased by about 15-20%. Also, my customer was
happy.

With the new feature available, i can remove my own workaround, which
does not work so well annyway. Many thanks to the developers.

Martin