Because I'm writing glue code between the SQLite API and a higher level
library which provides a standard API across several DBMSs.

  In other DBMSs even if a field contains null you can still ask the API
what type it 'should' have been if something *had* been put in it.
Without this ability, I cant make SQLite work with the library.

I don't understand the reasoning for designing SQLite weakly typed like
this, it just seems bizarre.