The table contains an id field with a unique index and another field with a
non-unique index.

>So you got about 40 Meg of data in 1.5 seconds.  Use your OS's copy command
>(or some graphical equivalent) to duplicate that file.  How long does it take
>?

You seemed to miss what I was saying:
If the blob field is positioned in the middle of the columns then even If I
don't include the blob field in the query the select is very slow (1.5 seconds).
If the blob field is positioned at the end of the columns then if I don't
include the blob field in the query the select is very fast (140 ms). If I do
include the blob field, the select is about 400-500 ms.