>It seemed strange that a simple "select * from table" that I was doing
>was so slow. The table contained about 20 columns (fields) and 300
>rows. The select took about 1.5 seconds. (using SQLite Expert).

Does the run time settle at 1.5 s after a few runs or is that a
first-run time ?

As an aside to what others have answered I'd like to point out another
potential source of slowdown.

I too am using SQLite Expert (Pro version).  This is a truly excellent
SQLite DB manager.  But don't forget that it will do its best to
"display" the BLOB column the best it can.  Depending on the options
you've set the program may have to perform extra work to produce the
result of your query.  You may want to test various settings likely to
affect blob display (Show images, Thumbs tracking, Cell auto height
[?]) to speed up display somehow.  It may be that the column order has
some impact on the speed of the grid component used for display.

Of course Bogdan [SQLite Expert author] is in the best place to comment.

Now you should also ascertain the good usage of cache size and either
use the CLI or write a simple program (in whatever language) to time
the same query and result fetch but without any display.  Time several
runs to have the caches filled.  That will be fairly close to the time
SQLite actually uses for processing the statement.  Anything
significantly departing from that reference time is in the realm of
Expert and probably its grid component.