> It'd be OK for NaN to map to NULL, but not for infinity, since there
> is a distinction between positive and negative infinity, and that
> distinction is valuable.

The NaN value in IEEE-754 is also not unique. There is the distinction
between signaling and quiet NaNs, and furthermore mantissa bits can
(and sometimes are) used to carry a tag, conveying information as to
the source of a problem.

Also, I don't particularly see how it is ok for NaN to map to NULL;
they are conceptually quite different. If I may draw an analogy,
mapping NaN to NULL is pretty much the same as mapping the empty
string to NULL.